Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Crawling back into the Dungeon with a static group

DDO soloing is fun if you have a hireling that can heal your damage
For the past month or so I have been coming on and off DDO. To this day, I have not found a f2p game that gives me as much fun as DDO, if only for the sheer ease in which one can group in the game to get things accomplished.

Finally, recently I found the static group I have been longing to form ever since I started playing. A static group, for those of you unfamiliar with the term is a group of players who bond together to play at consistent and regularly scheduled hours. It's like an extended party, and unlike a guild, it usually consists of 3 or more players getting together to play at scheduled hours of the day or week. Ours meets fairly irregular hours, but I an always count on one or two members being online at least twice a week, sometimes more.

I had to abandon by original toons, my wizard and the other toon due to the fact they were not specked correctly. With DDO, just like its paper and pencil counterpart, stats mean a whole lot, especially if your plan is to duel spec. So, I rerolled my Warforged and my new toon is almost level 5 now.

I have been guilty of leaving DDO at times and trying out other games. This fall for example, I was planning to go back to wow for their seasonal events like Brewfest and Hallow's End, but after Blizzard turned down my request for a pass to attend Blizzcon for the second year in a row, I was like, "F, that, if they can't spare one measly pass for me to attend their con, then I am done playing any of their games."

Thus, no Diablo 3 or wow for me. Instead I have been testing out the waters in the f2p market, running through Crystal Cove, and having fun doing so. I have thus far played: Allods Online, Champions Online, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Earth Eternal, Warhammer Online, League of Legends, SWG, Dark Age of Camelot and a Chinese MMO called Forsaken World. There may have been a few others I forget.

There are things I like and dislike about all of them, and though I haven't played any nearly as long as I have been playing DDO, none of them beat DDO for its community or easy of grouping. The thing that is great about DDO is that if I can't find someone to do the instanced quests with, I just hire some hirelings and still have fun. Also, nothing beats the group quests. 

This is a Dwarf Marksman in Forsaken World in aciton

In future posts I will update on the progress of both my guild and on the progression of me and my static group.  I hope it doesn't take another month of me playing for another post on this blog.

Perhaps I will post about each of these MMO f2p games I have sampled recenlty and detail their plus and minuses in a later post.Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment